Unit of Competency:
Heavy Rigid Vehicle:
A Heavy Rigid Vehicle is a vehicle 8 tones GVM and above, with 3 or more axles, including truck & bus.
This course is designed to train drivers to a competent standard in both theory and practical, which will enable them to pass the relevant VicRoads testing criteria for theory, skills and practical driving in the category of Heavy Rigid.
Drivers participating in this course must have held a Victorian Car Licence for a minimum period of 24 months.
Your choice of non-synchromesh (18 speed Road Ranger) over an 8, 12 or 13 hour course (Depending on experience) or an 8 speed synchromesh gearbox over 5, 6 or 8 hours (Depending on experience)*
Hourly training is also available upon request.
Student/Instructor Ratio 1:1
- Applicants with on Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical Clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
- Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
- Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.
* VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ). Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.
- Theory & Practical
- Road Law General
- Driving Tips
- VicRoads Theory Test
- Pre-operational checks
- 90-degree turns
- Braking distance
- Following distance
- Highway driving
- Lane Management
- Gear Selection
- System of vehicle control
- Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
- Correct use of accessories
- Cabin Inspection
- Load Restraint
- Theory Test (if applicable)
- Drive Assessment
- Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load Restraint)
Course duration/costs do not guarantee students will sit the on road licence test. To be eligible to test, students MUST first meet VicRoads criteria. If criteria are NOT met students will not be able to undergo the on road test and will continue to train for the duration of the course. Additional costs will apply if students book subsequent training and/or testing.
|Heavy Rigid (Synchro/Auto)||Price|
|Experienced (5 hrs)||$800.00|
|Extreme Novice (8hrs) – One Day||$1,190.00|
|Novice Course ( 9 -10 hrs – 2 pp) – One Day||$1,800.00|
|Heavy Rigid (Non Synchro)||Price|
|Industry Experienced (8 hrs) – One Day||$1,190.00|
|Some Experience (12 hrs) – 3 x 4 hrs (3 days)||$1,490.00|
|Novice (13hrs) – 2 x 4½ hrs & 1 x 4hr (3 days)||$1,590.00|
|Heavy Vehicle Retest|
|Load Restraint Retest||$50.00|
|(On Road) Drive Retest||$200.00|
|(Off Road) One Reverse Retest||$150.00|
|(Off Road) Both Reverse Retest||$150.00|
|Hourly Training (Minimum 3 hrs for weekdays, Minimum 4 hrs for weekends)|
|Heavy Vehicle (MR, HR, HC & MC) per hour||$135.00|
|Assessment Fee (this can only be offered in conjunction with training)||$270.00|
|Weekend Fee (Applied per person, per day)||15%|
|Verbal Theory Test||$70.00|
|Re-issue Certificate / SOA||$50.00|
|Licence Fee (Payable at VicRoads)||$29.70|